Assistant Farm Manager
Posted Date: 18 August 2020
Advert Ref: ASM1002
advert Title: Assistant Farm Manager
Area: Agriculture Centre
Position Type: Full-Time
Weekly Hours: 40 Hours
Time Conditions: Day Shift
Salary: R19,000 – R32,000
Closing Date: 18 September 2020
Assists in the management and supervision of a Avoller Agricultural Center; manages, supervises and performs farming and livestock duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Animal Science and Crop Science theory, methods and practices.
• Proper agronomic and horticulture practices including, but not limited to tillage, planting, irrigation, harvest and pesticide or herbicide applications.
• Common techniques used in the care and feeding of domestic animals and crops.
• Symptoms of animal and crop disease, illness or injury.
• Safe equipment operation and safety rules associated with agricultural research center.
• Supervision and training techniques and practices.
• Basic computer applications.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES TO:
• Follow instructions and perform acceptable farming practices.
• Communicate and deal effectively with farmers, ranchers, state and federal agencies and the public.
• Have hand/eye coordination and manual and physical dexterity to safely and effectively operate and maintain farm facility, equipment, and tools, and maneuver around livestock.
• Recognize symptoms of livestock and crop illness, disease or injury and be able to treat effectively.
• Assist with maintenance and record keeping for facility, equipment and supplies.
• Travel, when required for meetings, training, transportation of livestock or grain, or supplies and equipment.
• Assist with supervision and training of assigned staff.
• Operate computer to maintain records.
• Move up to 20kg pounds regularly.
• Work as team member and foster a cooperative work environment.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Manage, supervise and participate in the irrigation, fertilization, application of chemicals, harvesting of hay and care of dairy herd and equipment.
Work as liaison with feed mills, substations and supply companies.
Operate, maintain and repair equipment used in agriculture and farming.
Assist faculty in conducting research and data collection.
Estimate the needs for the general farming operations.
Care and treatment of animals including branding, castrating, dehorning cattle, docking, and herding sheep.
May assist in building maintenance, repair and remodeling as necessary.
May assist in training and supervision of existing farm crew and part-time staff.
May act as Farm Manager in Farm Manager's absence.
May travel to other centers to transport and test livestock and collect data.
May work at other livestock units as needed.
2 years work-related experience
REQUIRED LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, REGISTRATION, OR OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
• Valid driver's license.
Avoller SA Food Manufacturer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, colour, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Johan Van Wyk
013 110 1757
Human Resources Manager
Avoller SA Manufacturer